Help / Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)



Will the certificate be certified? provides original, certified copies of birth certificates. These documents are acceptable for passport, social security, employment and personal identification purposes. The certificates have raised seals.

Can I order wallet-size or short-form Certificates?
Currently, we do not provide these documents. only obtains certificates acceptable for passport, social security, employment and personal identification purposes.

If I call, can you conduct a search and provide information from the certificate over the phone?
We currently provide searches for certificates only in the San Francisco Bay Area counties. The search is handled through Probus Research. The fee is $25.00. We can refer you to other service companies for searches in other jurisdictions. Please call 415-440-9100 to order a search or get a referral. is a private company and not a public or government agency. We do not have in office access to vital record databases and cannot pre-screen the accuracy of the information you provide on your request.

How much does shipping cost?
There is no first class mailing surcharge. We offer Rush Express service for an additional $25.00 fee. Rush service provides the quickest turnaround time available anywhere. International Rush delivery is $35.00.

Which courier do you use for your Rush Service?
Our courier choice differs by county. We use the best service available in the jurisdiction for which the certificate is ordered. Note: Rush Service requires your signature upon receipt.

How quickly can I get my certificate?
Turnaround time differs by jurisdiction and your service option. Standard 1st Class Mail service gets your document to you in 5 to 15 days (average). Rush Express service gets your document to you in 1 to 11 days, depending on jurisdiction. provides the quickest turnaround time available.

Do not be misled by turnaround claims. We quote turnaround times conservatively. But, we obtain and deliver certificates as quickly, if not more quickly than any other service company.

How do I obtain my certificate if I was born overseas?
We recommend starting at the Bureau of Consular Affairs. Contact information is listed below:

Department of State
Correspondence Branch
Suite 510
1111 19th Street NW
Washington, DC 20522

How do I make additional payments (if instructed)?
If additional payment is required for the processing of your order (Example: Changes are made to your order after it is received). You can add additional payment to your existing order by visiting the Phone Order Payment page.

Please do not use this page unless instructed to do so by a staff member of is a Service of Probus Research
601 Van Ness Avenue, Suite #E
San Francisco, CA 94102

Copyright 2003 Probus Research